At least 74 migrants hoping to make their way to Europe drowned after their boat capsized off the coast of Libya on Thursday, the UN migration bureau stated.
It had been taking over 120 migrants, including women and children, as it broke off the shore of the Libyan port of al-Khums, ” said that the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
Only 47 individuals were spared from the Libyan coast fishermen and shield and thus far 31 bodies had been recovered as the hunt for the rest victims lasted, inserted the IOM.
It is the most up-to-date in a string of at least eight shipwrecks from the Central Mediterranean since last month.
“The weight reduction of life at the Mediterranean is a reflection of the inability of States to take decisive actions to redeploy much necessary, dedicated Search and Rescue capability from the deadliest sea-crossing on the planet,” said Federico Soda, IOM Libya Chief of Mission.
The nonprofit organization Open Arms that has saved hundreds of migrants lately called the information”excruciating”.
The IOM stated that it had detected a recent surge in the number of departures on the northeast coast, together with over 780 arrivals in Italy since the start of October.
Over 11,000 migrants were intercepted and returned to Libya, in which they confront the possibility of human rights offenses and detention, read the IOM announcement.
“IOM asserts that Libya isn’t a secure port for yield and reiterates its call on the global community and the European Union to take concrete and urgent actions to end the cycle of recurrence and manipulation,” added the statement.
War-torn Libya was a huge transit for migrants coming from Africa and the Middle East because of the 2011 uprising that ousted dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
At least 20,000 people have died in those waters because of 2014, according to the IOM.