Press "Enter" to skip to content

Beirut blast: Lebanese government leaves between fury including mass protests

The Lebanese government has resigned last week’s fatal explosion at Beirut’s port.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab made the statement in a television speech on Monday evening, stating he and his cabinet were stepping in the aftermath of the Beirut port explosion a week that triggered people fury and mass protests.

In a brief address on national TV, the chief said he’s taking”a step back” so he could stand together with the folks” and fight the struggle for change together.”

“I announce today the resignation of the administration. May God protects Lebanon,” he added, repeating the final word three times.

Health Minister Hamad Hassan told colleagues that the decision was made under increasing pressure as many ministers stopped or voiced their intention to measure.

The move came after two weeks of demonstrations in Beirut over the weekend which saw clashes with security forces shooting tear gas at protesters. ยจ

A Lebanese judge on Monday started questioning the minds of the nation’s security agencies within the explosion, beginning with the head of state safety, Major General Tony Saliba, the National News Agency said.

Dozens of people have been contested, including two former Cabinet ministers, according to police officers.

Violent protests broke out after the explosion, which killed at least 160 people, which many Lebanese people blamed government neglect.

Protesters clashed with security forces and were able to split into several government buildings and also an association of banks.

Officials also have stated the explosion was part due to the ignition of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate which was occupying Beirut’s port for ages.

Protesters and critics are demanding answers over how the material came to be kept in the interface and why nothing has been done about it.

Approximately 20 people have been arrested over the burst, for example, head of the vent and the leader of Lebanon’s customs department along with his predecessor.

French President Emmanuel Macron, who visited Beirut in the aftermath of the explosion, said the global community must stand for”a plausible independent impartial research into the source of the August 4 tragedy.”

Approximately 6,000 people were injured in the explosion and also almost 300,000 people were left homeless in the immediate wake.

Lebanon’s most important port was destroyed and massive swathes of Beirut were ruined.