Press "Enter" to skip to content

Beirut blast:’There are Likely more victims under the rubble’, says minister, as death toll Climbs

Rescue operations continued during Wednesday in Beirut following a huge explosion devastated the region around the vent, murdering dozens of people, injuring tens of thousands, and destroying buildings around the capital.

At least 135 people were killed in the explosion and 5,000 are injured.

Health Minister Hassan Hamad cautioned that”there are most likely many more (victims) below the rubble.”

Beirut’s governor Marwan Abboud explained that between 250,000 and 300,000 inhabitants were left with no house. A state of emergency was announced from the capital.

Attention has turned into substances stored in the interface. Government ministers say it seemed that a huge cache of ammonium nitrate at the vent had detonated. 2 explosions were reported and specialists believe fireworks could have caught fire, causing the next, gigantic explosion.

Officials also have said initial investigations indicated that the explosion came from the substance that was confiscated many decades back. Questions have been asked as to why it was seemingly still stored in the interface in dangerous conditions.

A security source told AFP the explosive power of this saved ammonium nitrate was equal to 1,200 tonnes of TNT.

Lebanese port police and customs officials understood the compound was being saved in the vent, and among the nation’s top security agencies had predicted for it to be emptied after launch a stunt this past year, the news agency reported, citing several safety officers.

There were foreign offers of aid after the catastrophe. The EU is sending 100 specialist firefighters along with other stuff. France is also sending help and President Emmanuel Macron will be to pay a visit to Lebanon on Thursday.

Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab has pledged to hold to account those responsible for the explosion and announced three days of national mourning beginning on Wednesday.

Beirut’s governor estimated that the harm might cost between $3 billion ($2.5 billion) and $5 billion ($4.2 billion) to fix. Almost half of the town was destroyed or ruined, Abboud said.

Hospitals, already fighting with the nation’s coronavirus outbreak, have been overrun by the high number of wounded men and women. Many hospitals were damaged in the explosion.

A lot of men and women are considered to be lost and bodies are considered to be buried from the vent region under debris. Firefighters backed by military helicopters battled into the night to put fires out.

People inspect a ruined building close to the scene of an explosion that struck on the seaport of Beirut, Lebanon, Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2020.
The next explosion after a first burst sent a massive orange fireball to the sky. It struck with all the power of a 3.5 magnitude earthquake and was felt as far away as Cyprus over 200 kilometers across the Mediterranean.

Chaotic scenes have been reported in the wake of the explosion, which destroyed buildings across the vent area, blew the windows out of others throughout the town, and overturned cars. Wounded individuals were viewed as staggering through the streets.

The tragedy comes at a time once the nation was fighting with the pandemic and also a serious economic and fiscal crisis. The last year has witnessed protests against soaring unemployment and financial collapse with lots of blaming government incompetence and corruption.