German police have arranged a 30-year-old guy accused of intentionally driving his automobile into other vehicles across a leading Berlin highway and injuring six individuals be moved into a psychiatric prison, as researchers continue to probe the guy’s motives.
German prosecutors said on Wednesday they suspect the collection of mishaps was an act” prompted by Islamism.”
Six people were injured, three of them seriously, when a vehicle collided with cars and motorbikes around the BAB 100 at about 19.00 CET on Tuesday evening.
A preliminary investigation indicated that the crashes were”willful attacks on other street users” completed by a single person, based on Berlin’s Public Prosecutor’s office.
The 30-year-old guy was detained at the scene by police officers.
A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office said the defendant had”virtually hunted” motorcyclists together with his vehicle.
“Statements from the accused after his actions indicate a religious-Islamist motivation,” Berlin prosecutors said in an announcement.
There were also signs that the defendant suffered from emotional instability and had submitted information concerning the projected action on social networking.
No evidence was revealed that the defendant was a part of a terrorist association. State Security officials are currently directing the investigation.
The Mayor of Berlin, Michael Müller stated on Twitter that he had been”deeply shocked” by the episode.
Police closed the motorway for many hours to inquire into the contents of the defendant’s vehicle, but no suspicious items were discovered.
After the assault, CDU parliamentary group leader Burkard Dregger called for greater efforts to boost safety.
Germany was on high alert concerning terrorism because December 2016, when 12 people were killed when a truck rammed into pedestrians at Berlin’s Christmas marketplace. 56 others were hurt in the attack that was maintained by the Islamic State team.