Press "Enter" to skip to content

DHS Officially backs off plans to deport sick immigrant Kids

Last updated on September 20, 2019

The Trump government on Thursday formally backed off from plans to deport severely sick immigrant kids, as per a notification sent to Congress.

In a letter delivered to the House Oversight Committee, the Department of Homeland Security reported that it’s”restarting its thought of non-military deferred activity asks on an optional, case-by-case basis.”

The government, as a part of its broader immigration crackdown, had announced in August it would shut the clinically deferred activity program, which enabled families of seriously ill children to get care in the USA without fear of deportation.

Families were told that the program had been terminated and they had 33 days to depart the country.

The conclusion prompted a tremendous backlash from lawmakers and advocates, leading the government to sign days after it would at least briefly continue enabling medical asks to be processed.

Last week, the Oversight Committee held a hearing about the coverage, in which children suffering from cystic fibrosis and other disorders testified they could perish if shipped back to their home states.

“It seems that the Trump Administration is turning its own inhumane and crushing decision to deport seriously ill children and their families that are receiving life-threatening medical treatment at the USA,” Cummings said in a statement.