Félicien Kabuga, a businessman indicted for complicity in the Rwandan genocide, was detained on Saturday after living under a false identity.
The Rwandan genocide took place in 1994 and led to the deaths of 800,000 people.
The arrest”is a reminder for those responsible for the genocide they may be brought to justice, even 26 years after their offenses,” said Serge Brammertz, the main prosecutor of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals, the UN court responsible for investigating crimes related to the genocide.
Kabuga was residing in Asnières-sur-Seine and is now 84 years old.
He had been a part of this interior group of Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana whose assassination on April 6, 1994, triggered the genocide.
Kabuga chaired the radio firm that broadcast calls for the murder of Tutsis. Also, he commanded the National Defence Fund (FDN), which gathered”funds” meant to fund the weapons and logistics of Hutu militiamen, according to the worldwide indictment.
He was hunted for years and practically escaped an operation to detain him in 1997 and 2003, the non-profit organization TRIAL International has said.