Press "Enter" to skip to content

New Zealand cancels mosque shooting memorial up virus fear

A national memorial in New Zealand to commemorate the 51 individuals who had been killed when a gunman assaulted two mosques annually past was canceled as a result of concern over the new coronavirus.

All those instances are linked to individuals returning from overseas and so far there have not been indications of a regional outbreak. The latest case, between a guy in his 60s who later returned in the U.S., was declared by health officials Saturday.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the choice to cancel the ceremony at Horncastle Arena, also declared Saturday, was precautionary and pragmatic.

“We are very saddened to cancel, but in recalling such a dreadful tragedy, we should not create the danger of further injury being done,” Ardern stated in a release.

The statement came a day after Ardern had stated in a press conference in Christchurch the occasion would still proceed.

Some had contested at why the occasion was moving following Ardern and other officials had chosen to cancel a festival in Auckland observing Pacific civilization as a result of anxieties over the coronavirus.

Ardern had said Saturday the Pasifika Festival was canceled from a particular concern that the virus would propagate to Pacific islands which don’t have the health infrastructure to deal with an epidemic.

On Friday, Ardern attended a unique joint prayer with all members of mosques which were assaulted.

Immediately following last year’s strikes, Ardern began working on altering the country’s gun laws. The most peculiar kinds of semi-automatics are now prohibited, and at a national buyback, gun owners turned in roughly 60,000 of the recently outlawed weapons for money.

Ardern additionally worked on trying to get rid of terror strikes from being revealed on the internet, following the gunman live-streamed the Christchurch strikes. Ardern attracted some countries and technology firms together to work on the matter in what she called the Christchurch Call, which she said had helped begin a fresh crisis response protocol.

“As a consequence of the protocol and coordination in these events where social networking platforms are used to broadcast strikes, the flow of these videos was far diminished,” she explained.

If found guilty, he’d face a sentence of life imprisonment.