Press "Enter" to skip to content

Rescuers slog through Sand as Japan typhoon death toll Climbs to 66

The death toll at the worst typhoon to strike Japan for decades increased to 66 on Tuesday as rescuers slogged through debris and mud within an increasingly grim hunt for the lost, and thousands of homes remained without water or power.

Younger people stay missing almost 3 times following Typhoon Hagibis crushed into eastern and central Japan, national broadcaster NHK said. Over 200 people were hurt from the storm, whose title means”rate” from the Tagalog language.

Another child of this woman remains lost.

Residents in Koriyama, among Fukushima’s larger towns, said that they had been taken by surprise from the flood. Authorities were hunting house-to-house to be certain nobody was left behind or needed assistance.

“The river hasn’t flooded like this earlier, and a few homes have been swept away. I believe that it may be time for you to redraw hazard maps or reconsider evacuation programs,” said Masaharu Ishizawa, a 26-year-old high school instructor who had been cleaning up in his family house in Koriyama.

He explained there are a whole lot of older in his field and several of these were taken in by family members.

“We’ve not seen damage like this earlier, and perhaps global warming and ecological change has got something to do with it”

Part of the family’s backyard was washed off, breaking water pipes and power lines. The household was using water transported from a local community center to wash up. Two doors down, an older home had dropped following the flooding washed away its foundations.

About 133,000 families were without water whereas 22,000 lacked power, down on the countless thousands originally left with no electricity but a cause for concern in northern regions where temperatures are decreasing.


Survivors described how water climbed quickly to chest height in roughly one hour and mostly at night, which makes it difficult to escape to high ground.

“I assessed the flooding hazard map however, it did not have my place as being in danger,” explained Yoshinagi Higuchi, 68, who lives about 100 meters from 1 levee and hauled out the flooding on the second floor of his home since the ground floor full of water.

“I heard that there was a flooding once before the war, but we simply were not expecting the water to emerge within the levee despite all of the warnings.”

Residents were warned from the public address systems which are a characteristic of Japanese towns and a few evacuated to a regional elementary school, he added as he and acquaintances piled sodden tatami straw mats and other ruined furniture on the road.

“Nobody from town hall has begun to check on us,” Higuchi said.

Officials for Tokyo Electric Power Co <9501.T>, that owns the plant, also have stated that there was no leakage of water.


Around the country, manufacturers took inventory. Electronics manufacturer Panasonic Corp <6752.T> said flood had ruined its plant at a large industrial park in Koriyama.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe cautioned that the financial effect could be protracted.

Thousands of police, fire officers and army personnel continued to look for men and women who could have been cut off by floodwaters and landslides, with expect diminishing the missing could be found living.

Although the threat of rain is forecast to decrease on Tuesday, temperatures are very likely to fall in several regions later this week, even in certain instances to unseasonably low levels, NHK said.

Four of Japan’s major refiners stated there was no effect on their refinery operations in the storm.