Press "Enter" to skip to content

Rugby World Cup: England face All Blacks as both sides Facilitate into semi-finals

Last updated on November 2, 2019

The three-times winners had dropped two of the past three matches against the Irish but Saturday’s performance improved represented the Black’s overall record from the guys in green that currently stands in 29 wins to 2 beats, with one draw.

The All Blacks finished with seven attempts, the first two from scrumhalf Aaron Smith.

Surely England will offer a much better evaluation for the holders, using sooner thrashed Australia 40-16 at the very first quarter-final at Oita.

The All Blacks hadn’t played for nearly two weeks because their 71-9 success over Namibia in precisely the same floor after championship organizers canceled their final pool match against Italy because of Typhoon Hagibis.

Additionally, they had been contested since their championship opener against South Africa four months ago and lovers were worried they might be underprepared to the seriousness of a World Cup match.

Steve Hansen’s side allayed those fears with a blistering and bruising operation where they drove Ireland back in the breakdown and the attack and never let them acquire their close-running match going.

They forced the Irish to several handling errors, especially in contact within their half, ruining their momentum.

Following scrumhalf Smith scored his first attempt at the 14th minute after a continual buildup, the All Blacks captured on two Johnny Sexton mistakes to put the match beyond doubt before halftime.

The Irish flyhalf failed to find touch to an attacking lineout, together with Richie Mo’unga brilliantly keeping the ball in play along with the All Blacks then cleared to Ireland’s half when three moments later, Smith caught his second from close selection.

Sexton subsequently dropped the ball on halfway at a tackle and Mo’unga kicked it forward together with Beauden Barrett winning the race to give the All Blacks a 22-0 lead they held into halftime despite defending most of the past ten minutes of their first phase.

The All Blacks refused to take their foot off the gas in the second half, maintaining Ireland pinned in their land and controlling ownership with hooker Codie Taylor, substitute flanker Matt Todd, winger George Bridge and substitute Jordie Barrett crossing.

Robbie Henshaw gave his side a face-saving attempt moments after he wasted a gilt-edged chance whilst referee Nigel Owens also given them a penalty try to sin-binned Todd for a professional foul.