Press "Enter" to skip to content

Somali forces end rebel siege of Mogadishu Resort

Somalia’s security forces on Sunday ended a practically five-hour siege by Islamic extremists in a beachside resort in Somalia’s capital, said police and a government spokesman.

At least 15 people were killed when the Turks invaded the Elite Hotel, a brand new institution favorite with Mogadishu’s young men and women, said Col. Ahmed Aden, ” a police officer.

Security forces killed all four taxpayers and rescued dozens of people that were trapped within the resort, Ismail Mukhtar, spokesman of Somalia’s data ministry told The Associated Press.

The attack began in the day using a powerful car bomb blast which blew off the safety gates into the resort. Subsequently, gunmen ran indoors and took hostages, mainly young women and men who had been dining there, ” he explained.

Ambulance sirens could be observed from the region that had a power outage once the attack began.

Somalia’s homegrown Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabab, that are allied to al-Qaida, have claimed responsibility for the assault via its radio arm, Andalus.

The resort strike shattered a period of calm that had lasted for a month or two. Before this season Somalia needed a spate of bomb attacks.