Press "Enter" to skip to content

Suicide bomb into southern Afghanistan, kills at least 20

Last updated on September 19, 2019

The Taliban took responsibility for the attack, which destroyed a portion of this hospital at Qalat, the capital of southern Zabul province, also abandoned a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.

Residents, a lot of whom had come to view their ill relatives, utilized shawls and blankets to take the wounded within the ruined building, while police appeared to choose the worst of the injured to hospitals in neighboring Kandahar.

In the first hours following the explosion, there have been conflicting figures of the wounded and dead. The provincial governor’s spokesman Gul Islam Seyal set the death toll at 12 but said police were on the scene sifting through the debris. Atta Jan Haqbayan, head of the provincial council, placed the death toll at 20.

The Taliban, who were carrying out almost daily attacks since peace talks with the United States failed earlier this season, said the goal was a nearby authority intelligence department building was the goal.

Haqbayan reported the wall of the National Security Department (NDS) construction was ruined. He could not say whether any employees had been among the casualties.