Press "Enter" to skip to content

The first section of new replacement Genoa bridge is Set up

Last updated on October 1, 2019

The very first section of a new bridge in Genoa has been set up on Tuesday to displace a viaduct that dropped this past year, killing 43 people.

The 500-tonne segment is the very first of 19 structures that will compose the bridge.

Piano especially designed Paris’ Georges Pompidou center, the Shard at London, as well as the Whitney Museum in New York.

“It’s a significant moment. Nothing will ever be in a position to match us for this type of catastrophe, but now is a salvation day since the town lifts its mind, not just the town but instead the nation,” Piano told colleagues in the installation of this first segment.

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte also observed as the new part was set up.

“The pride we feel in this moment doesn’t make us neglect that the 43 victims of this bridge,” Conte said.

A local prosecutor in Italy stated in August there had been appropriate upkeep of the bridge in 25 years before the collapse.

Countless people were forced to leave their houses close to the bridge following the catastrophe.

The first foundation stone for the renovation was set in June. The ship-shaped brand new bridge is expected to be completed by April 2020.