Press "Enter" to skip to content

Trump administration suspends two Cuban diplomats

Last updated on September 20, 2019

The Trump government on Thursday said it would expel two associates of Cuba’s U.N. assignment in New York for allegedly attempting to run”influence operations” from the USA.

The State Department said it had informed Cuba’s international ministry it had been requiring the”impending death” of both Cuban nationals, that are accused of abusing their diplomatic rights.

“This is a result of their efforts to run impact operations contrary to the USA,” State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus explained.

“We take all efforts against the National Security of the United States severely, and will continue to research any extra employees who could be manipulating their rights of dwelling,” she explained.

The State Department also said that it would restrict travel inside the USA for different officials at Cuba’s U.N. assignment in New York, basically limiting them to the island of Manhattan.

The government announced the expulsions just days before the yearly gathering of world leaders in the United Nations General Assembly.

However, President Donald Trump has fought the detente and canceled Obama’s steps. The White House has aggressively criticized Cuba on its staunch support for Venezuela’s socialist President Nicolas Maduro.

Back in October 2017, the Trump government expelled 15 Cuba diplomats over precisely what it stated was Cuba’s failure to safeguard American employees in the U.S. embassy in Havana by a mysterious illness that led to a range of symptoms such as hearing loss, nausea, balance and visual difficulties.

In its statement on Thursday, the State Department made no mention of their wellness strikes.