Press "Enter" to skip to content

US judge blocks Donald Trump Principle on migrant child detention

A US judge on Friday blocked a Trump government rule that would have permitted the indefinite detention of families, stating it was inconsistent with a decades-old court settlement that governs states for migrant children in US custody.

The 1997 settlement agreement, that originated from 1985 using a complaint brought on behalf of 15-year-old Salvadoran immigrant Jenny L. Flores, establish criteria for humane treatment of children from detention and arranged their immediate launch ordinarily.

The Trump government had expected a new rule issued on August 23 would replace the compensation, that was modified through the years to protect against the long-term detention of households.

“This law is inconsistent with a number of the most important aims of this Flores Agreement, and that will be to instate an overall policy favoring discharge and expeditiously place minors’ at the least restrictive setting appropriate for the minor’s age and particular needs,’“US District Court Judge Dolly Gee at Los Angeles wrote in her judgment.

US President Donald Trump has made cracking down on immigration a part of his presidency, and government officials have repeatedly called the Flores agreement’s criteria as”loopholes” which have brought increasing amounts of mainly Central American households seeking US asylum by forcing police to release them to the United States to await the results of the immigration hearings.

The new regulation could have allowed the government to hold families forever during court procedures that can take weeks or years due to big court backlogs. It was expected to go into effect.

At a court hearing in Los Angeles on Friday, Gee requested the Department of Justice Attorney August Flentje he could assert that the regulations weren’t inconsistent with the details of the Flores agreement.

“Just because you tell me it’s nighttime out, does not mean it’s not afternoon,” Gee said.

Attorneys for the Trump government are expected to appeal. A Department of Justice spokesman said that it was”disappointed that the courtroom is continuing to inflict the obsolete Flores Agreement even following the government has done precisely what the Arrangement required: issue an extensive rule that will safeguard vulnerable kids, keep family unity, and ensure due process for people awaiting adjudication of the immigration claims”

The acting manager of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Matthew Albence, stated earlier this week which household detention was only 1 tool available to this government as it attempts to finish what it calls”catch and release”. A policy which started this season of sending border-crossers back to Mexico to await their immigration hearings is yet another, ” he explained.

Albence and other government officials have stated the government wouldn’t be in a position to grow its approximately 3,300 household detention beds without any additional funds being made available from the US Congress.