Two U.S. support members had been killed and six others injured when an individual in an Afghan uniform opened fire with a machine gun from southern Afghanistan, the U.S. army said on Saturday.
The episode, which happened in Nangarhar province, happened after a joint U.S. and Afghan force performed a”key-leader involvement,” Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement.
“We’re collecting information and also the cause or reason behind the attack is unknown at the moment,” Leggett added.
Insider strikes often referred to as”green-on-blue” strikes, are a normal feature of the battle in Afghanistan, even though their frequency has diminished in the last few decades.
Nangarhar, which shares a long and porous border with neighboring Pakistan, had served as the primary stronghold of Islamic State, from where militants staged and planned bombings across the nation, especially the capital Kabul.
The Taliban has also commanded parts of Nangarhar province.
Around 13,000 U.S. troops have been stationed in Afghanistan within their U.S.-led NATO mission to train, help and counsel Afghan forces and also to perform counter-terrorism operations.
The incident comes at a delicate moment, as U.S. diplomats have been speaking with the Taliban for weeks to agree on a schedule for the withdrawal of international forces in exchange for security guarantees.
Despite discussions between the USA and the Taliban to finish the warfare, violence in the nation hasn’t ebbed.