Press "Enter" to skip to content

AC Milan sack Trainer Giampaolo, Pioli Place to take over

Last updated on October 13, 2019

AC Milan on Tuesday sacked coach Marco Giampaolo after only seven matches accountable as the prior European giants slipped into 13th place in Serie A, with ex-Inter Milan trainer Stefano Pioli poised to take over.

But after a run of four beats which includes a 2-0 derby defeat to Inter that the seven-time European champions are only three points above the relegation zone.

“The team is grateful to Marco for the job completed and wants him all the very best to come from his career,” the group said in a statement.

The 52-year-old fought from the beginning at cash-strapped Milan, who surrendered their Europa League berth this year after breaching UEFA’s monetary fair play rules.

Saturday’s 2-1 success at Genoa was not sufficient to conserve the prior Sampdoria boss, who’d been the seventh coach to sit on the Milan seat in the previous five decades.

Pioli is reported to be put to take over the ailing team, who won the final of the 18 Italian league names in 2011.

“Tomorrow we will discuss,” Pioli told journalists as he came in Milan for discussions on Tuesday.

Pioli has spent his whole 16-year training career in Italy with nightclubs such as Bologna, Lazio, Inter and Fiorentina, but hasn’t won any prizes as a trainer. The #PioliOut hashtag immediately trended globally on Twitter due to this furious reaction from Milan fans.

The 53-year-old led Lazio into the Champions League in 2015 and was trainer of Fiorentina when captain Davide Astori died in his sleep before a game this past year.

Milan expects he could bring stability to the club which has undergone its share of backroom play after being sold double in the previous couple of decades.

Ex-Brazil global Leonardo resigned as sporting manager earlier this season to proceed to Paris Saint-Germain with former celebrities Paolo Maldini and Zvonimir Boban carrying over.

Former Inter Milan coach Luciano Spalletti was reported to have become the group’s number one alternative because of their next coach.

On the other hand, the 60-year-old hasn’t managed to concur severance terms with Inter, where he remains under contract till 2021, despite being substituted by Antonio Conte.