Bosnia has detained seven former army soldiers and officials suspected in the killing of 44 Bosniak civilians during the 1992-95 war.
A total of eight people are suspected of this crime in the region of Sokolac, based on a statement from Bosnia’s prosecutor’s office.
They include former senior officers of the Sokolac Crisis Staff that have been”direct perpetrators” of their murders, state the prosecutor’s office.
44 Bosniak civilians, the youngest aged 14, were murdered in the village of Novoseoci at Sokolac municipality in September 1992.
Bosnian Serbs divided men from women and kids from the village before taking the guys away to a local ditch where they had been”brutally murdered by gunfire”, ” the announcement said.
Following the killings, a mosque at Novoseoci was demolished, along with the rubble was thrown over the bodies of their victims.
The children and women were allegedly expelled and hauled to Sarajevo.
Each one of these victims’ remains is exhumed from the website, prosecutors said. Some had as many as 178 bullet bites.
Over 100,000 people died during the war in Bosnia which surfaced once the nation’s Serbs rebelled against liberty in the former Yugoslavia and proceeded to produce their state.
The arrests on Wednesday were created via a coordinated operation from the Special Department for War Crimes and police officials in the State Investigation and Protection Agency (SIPA).
The seven people were arrested in the early hours of the afternoon, while the police will also ask the extradition of another defendant from overseas.
Also, one of the suspects is Radislav Krstić, that had been convicted with the U.N. war crimes tribunal on charges of helping genocide in 2004, and is now serving a 35-year prison sentence.
The situation prosecutor in Bosnia is scheduled to analyze the arrested suspects before settling on additional activities about the circumstance.