Press "Enter" to skip to content

Former Congolese military Boss Bosco Ntaganda sentenced to 30 years for war crimes

Last updated on November 7, 2019

Bosco Ntaganda, that had been the army operations leader of the Union of Congolese Patriots (UPC) militia from the Democratic Republic of Congo, was given the sentence on Thursday after being found guilty in July.

His fees include that rape, murder, and conscripting child soldiers some of whom were raped and used as sex slaves.

It’s also the first time that the ICC has convicted somebody for sexual slavery and sexual abuse against their troops,” Human Rights Watch’s deputy Africa manager Ida Sawyer explained.

Rwandan-born Ntaganda, that wore a dark suit and red tie to his hearing, showed no emotion as he was given his sentence on Thursday.

Nearly all the offenses constitute 46-year-old’s conviction were perpetrated during two operations completed by the UPC in November 2002 and February 2003 in the communities of Banyali-Kilo and Walendu-Djatsi, the ICC said.

Speaking at the certainty earlier in the calendar year, Judge Robert Fremr explained: “The bodies of the killed — men women and kids and infants — were found at the banana area within the upcoming days.

“Some bodies were found naked, some had their hands tied up and a few had their heads smashed. Several bodies have been disemboweled or mutilated.”

Sawyer, whose interview with HRW about Ntaganda was published following the sentencing, said she expected that the outcome would”take the message to other warlords and acute human rights and that they know they aren’t above the law and even years after their offenses, they may be held to account”