Press "Enter" to skip to content

France 2015 terror strikes: Who will be the suspects heading on trial?

The trial starts on Wednesday for its 14 alleged accomplices from the January 2015 terror strikes on French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo along with also a Jewish supermarket.

The tide of terror spanning three times in January 2015 watched a total of 17 people killed, such as France’s famed cartoonists, police officers, and Jewish shoppers.

It began on January 7, 2015, when brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi went to a gun rampage from the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a weekly magazine that’s well known for its animations on politics and faith which examine the limits of what society deems acceptable. They killed 12 people, including an officer who had been patrolling the region.

On January 9, he murdered four guys in the Hyper Cacher Jewish supermarket in the east of Paris.

Police shot Coulibaly and also the Kouachi brothers deceased in distinct standoffs.

And how are they connected to the attackers?

Just 11 suspects will probably be current. The 3 others are being tried in absentia and are thought to have fled into northern Syria and Iraq, which had been in the time under the constraint of the so-called Islamic State (IS) group. It’s unknown if they’re still living.

They are:

Hayat Boumedienne

She’s Coulibaly’s ex-wife and wed him in 2008.

The Paris courtroom is prosecuting her for a “criminal terrorist institution,” that is punishable by a 20-year prison term. She’s also accused of funding for mounting many scams to assist her husband to cover the logistics of these strikes.

Boumedienne appeared on the radar in October 2019 and has been in the time reported alive.

Authorities believe that he had been an ideological coach for Coulibaly. They met in a prison at Seine-Saint-Denis, northwest of Paris. He opened the channels of communication for him to maintain touch with all the Islamic State team and composed the oath of allegiance which Coulibaly created to IS.

The brothers’ deaths have never been proven.

Others that will stand trial are:

Ali Riza Polat

The Franco-Turk citizen faces the most serious sentence of life imprisonment because of his alleged”complicity”.

He’s suspected of having a crucial role in helping the strikes” at all phases of their preparation”, such as helping to create weapons.

Willy Prevost

He spent a lot of his youth with Coulibaly and has been among the first suspects to be detained. His DNA was discovered at the Renault pushed by Coulibaly for into the Jewish grocery shop. He confessed to purchasing his buddy knives and a taser.

Both were near Coulibaly and knew him when they had been imprisoned in Paris’s Villepinte prison together. An analysis said they met a few occasions and talked on the telephone just before the attacks.

Pastor Alwatik’s DNA was discovered on two weapons which were found in an apartment leased by Coulibaly. It was likewise tracked on a glove that has been found at the supermarket shop.

Ramdani also saw the area of Lille in northern France in 2014, where a number of the arms used in the assault came from. Saïd Makhlouf was together with him and both men met with Mohamed Fares, who supposedly supplied at least one assault rifle.

The two lived at Ardennes, in which the wives of those Kouachi brothers came out. They were satisfied with Metin Karasular, who bought a Mini Cooper which Coulibaly used.

Michel Catino

Christophe Ramel

He’s the only defendant that won’t be tried for terrorism. He was supposedly in the scene as soon as the Renault Scenic vehicle, utilized by Coulibaly to push into the supermarket store, was bought.

He’s being tried for”criminal association”, that can be punishable with a 10-year prison sentence.

The majority of the rest of the suspects have been tried for institutions using a terror organization and may confront 20-year prison conditions.

Waiting for justice

The victims’ families expect the trial will shed light on just how the operations were intended.

“This trial issues even though Amedy Coulibaly is dead,” explained Patrick Klugman, attorney for the victims in Hyper Cacher.

“With no defendants from the box, Coulibaly would not have been in a position to behave.”

“They’re waiting for justice to be done to find out who did everything, understanding that those who pulled the cause are no more there,” they added.

People who survived the massacres will testify in a court in northern Paris.

Wednesday’s terror trial is going to be the nation’s first to be filmed for archival purposes due to the general attention.

The Paris court will sit till November 10th.