Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hong Kong Authorities to enter College as Search for protesters Ends up empty

Last updated on November 27, 2019

Hong Kong authorities said they’d go into Polytechnic University on Thursday, bringing their close two-week siege of their campus to a finish, after closing searches for any pro-democracy protesters still concealing turned up empty.

For another day on Wednesday security teams in the college scoured the maze of buildings on the campus, a focus in recent months of this citywide protests that first erupted in June, but nobody had been discovered.

“Since the school has finished the research, the authority’s security team will input Polytechnic University tomorrow as we will need to process dangerous things and gather proof,” District Commander Ho Yun-sing informed reporters.

Any remaining protesters will be given medical treatment, ” he explained.

Around 1,100 people were detained last week while attempting to escape.

Riot police sealed off the campus, putting up high plastic barricades along with a fence around the perimeter.

The amount of protesters has improved drastically, with some managing to flee and many others brought out. A single woman discovered on Tuesday has been”physically weak and mentally shaky”, according to a statement by the university.

The college on Wednesday requested government departments for help eliminating”dangerous substances” by the website, which will be littered with rotting waste and detritus of their siege, urging police to choose a”humanist” approach.

The city’s biggest pro-establishment celebration, the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, urged police to deliver medics into the website to take any residual protesters into the hospital.

The Polytechnic University campus has been the final of five which protesters had inhabited to use as bases from which to interrupt town, blocking the neighboring Cross-Harbour Tunnel linking Kowloon to Hong Kong Island and other arteries.

Demonstrators are angry at what they view as Beijing’s meddling from the freedoms promised into the former British colony as it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.

China denies interfering and states it’s dedicated to the”one country, two systems” formula set up at that moment.

The protesters had blocked the tunnel’s mouth smashed toll booths, lit fires and shattered bricks into the street, but it had been reopened early on Wednesday, also Hong Kong television showed a constant stream of vehicles passing.

Hong Kong authorities expect a lull in clashes over the weekend during local elections, by which pro-democracy candidates scored a landslide victory, can translate into more serene after almost six months of chaos.

Hundreds of individuals are facing possible prison time in connection with the unrest.

Secretary for Security John Lee stated on Wednesday authorities had detained over 5,800 individuals since June, the amounts rising exponentially in October and November, and had billed 923.

Reuters reported that China’s leaders had set up a crisis command center from the Chinese technology hub of Shenzhen, just across the border from Hong Kong, to take care of protests which have become the largest populist challenge because China’s leader Xi Jinping came into power in 2012.

“Regardless of how the situation in Hong Kong varies, the Chinese government’s determination to protect national sovereignty, safety, and development pursuits is unwavering,” it stated.

Regardless of the euphoria among protesters within the electoral success, where democracy advocates sailed around 86% of their 452 district council chairs, new demonstrations were intended for the weekend, such as a march to protest against using tear gas on”kids”.

A”Thanksgiving” demonstration, in appreciation of this U.S Congress passing legislation behind protesters, is scheduled for Thursday, the date of the U.S. holiday season.

The city-wide elections brought a record turnout and have been viewed as a vote of no-confidence at Hong Kong’s Beijing-backed pioneer, Carrie Lam, over her handling of their fiscal hub’s worst crisis in years.

One Hong Kong paper, Sing Pao, printed a front-page disperse for the second consecutive day phoning for Lam’s resignation. “Hong Kong people had sufficient, Carrie Lam stop,” it read.