Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hong Kong on Border after weekend of clashes, airport Disturbance

Hong Kong commuters were met by riot police at subway stations on Monday in stressed scenes after a weekend after protesters intensified their struggle for democracy at the Chinese-ruled town, which is facing its greatest political crisis in years.

Protesters have called for a general strike on Monday. However, the town seemed to return to relative calm with stores open, trains working and employees making their way to offices throughout the international financial hub.

Many primary schools have been closed because of a typhoon warning along with a few older kids went to college in hard hats. University students that have regularly led the protests were anticipated to exchange courses for demonstrations later in the afternoon.

“No, no, we are not planning on strike. In such instances, we want the cash,” said Cherry Leung, 47, as she piled oranges and watermelons in her road stall.

“I believe we have had enough trouble for the time being,” she explained.

Airport police said 25 flights were canceled on Sunday however that transportation services were mostly back to normal.

After departing the airport on Sunday, a few demonstrators targeted the MTR subway station in neighboring Tung Chung district, ripping out turnstiles and hammering CCTV lights and cameras with alloy sticks. Police moved in and made many arrests.

Police and protesters had clashed on Saturday night in a number of the most extreme violence because unrest escalated into mid-June over worries Beijing is eroding the rights awarded to the land under a”one nation, two systems” arrangement.

China denies the cost of meddling and states Hong Kong is an internal affair. It’s denounced the protests and, together with Hong Kong teetering on the verge of recession, has warned of the harm the protests are causing the market.

However, the chaos has developed more than 13 months to turn into a general requirement for increased democracy.