Leakage of freight from an Iranian-owned petroleum tanker struck by missiles from the Red Sea waters away Saudi Arabia was stopped because it heads for the Gulf, the semi-official Iranian newsa agency Mehr reported Saturday.
The tanker Sabiti was targeted on Friday, Iranian media reported previously, an event that if supported could stoke friction in an area rattled by attacks on tankers and oil installations as May.
“The freight leakage has ceased.”
The United States of America, embroiled in a dispute with Iran on its atomic aims, has blamed Iran for attacks on tankers in the Gulf in May and June and in Addition to strikes Saudi oil websites in September. Tehran has denied having a part in any of these.
The U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet, which works in the area, said it had been aware of these reports but had no additional details.
Political risk consultancy Eurasia Group said it didn’t have firm evidence about who might have been behind the episode.
“The closeness of the tanker in the time of this assault to Saudi Arabia’s Jeddah port may indicate that the missiles could have been launched in the kingdom.
“Another plausible theory is that it had been an Israeli sabotage surgery… A third possibility is that the assault was conducted with a terrorist group,” Eurasia stated in a statement.
The accounts provided occasionally diverging accounts. Iranian state-run television, mentioning the federal oil firm, said the tanker was struck with missiles while denying that a report that they came from Saudi Arabia.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry said the boat has been hit twice, without saying exactly what struck it. State television broadcast pictures in the Sabiti’s deck stating they were shot after the assault but showing no visible harm. The boat’s hull wasn’t in opinion.
The Red Sea is a significant worldwide delivery route for oil and other commerce, linking the Indian Ocean with the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal. Crude prices jumped temporarily on the information of the alleged assault and business sources said it could drive up already large transport prices.
There was no claim of responsibility because of the documented incident, which follows attacks on tankers in the Gulf in May and June, in addition to strikes Saudi oil websites in September.