Serbia’s president said on Friday he is not concerned about losing political authority amid big protests against his handling of this coronavirus catastrophe and hard-line rule, but rather expressed his fear about the spread of this virus from the demonstrators.
“It’s so irresponsible to call upon individuals to collect and demonstrate if we’re confronted with the most dreadful amounts of diseases by the coronavirus,” President Aleksandar Vučić told reporters during his state visit to France.
“I beg folks, please let us maintain our wellbeing safe. Nobody will take power by force. Electricity is accepted at the elections. You can protest as much as you need when the outbreak is finished,” Vučić said.
“If you do not know this, and you also wish to attract some tycoons to electricity — I’d like to tell you — that isn’t likely to occur.”
A couple of folks wore face masks.
Defying a ban on bulk parties passed from the authorities on Thursday, several protesters wore white T-shirts using the inscription, “Sit Down, Do Not Be Setup” — speaking to widespread reports that the violence that the preceding nights which played to the government’s hands had been staged by far-right bands near the government.
1 protester told Euronews: “I need reasonable authorities that are transparent and that is not putting everything in their taxpayers. We’re blamed for all, however, they kept their meetings they held their soccer games, they held each significant assembly here in Serbia nevertheless we’re the ones to blame.
“Together with the calm protests last night, folks showed in the sort of a country they would like to live,” the announcement said. “We had an almost ordinary day when Vučić wasn’t in the city, with no playing with the protests, our own lives.”
Vučić refused that”hooligans”, that had been seen beating up the protesters, are under his hands, asserting they were attracted in from the resistance.
The spontaneous protests began on Tuesday when Vučić declared that Belgrade could be put under a brand new Icelandic lockdown after another wave of supported coronavirus infections.
The protests then mushroomed into broader frustration using Vučić’s increasingly authoritarian rule.
The unrest believed the most extreme because the overthrow of former Serbian strongman Slobodan Milošević at 2000, lasted despite Vučić suspending his choice to apply another shutdown.
After originally tackling the pandemic comparatively nicely, Vučić and his administration were accused of letting the emergency spin out of control to be able to maintain a June 21 election which tightened his grasp on power.
Talking to Euronews in Thursday’s sit down demonstration in Belgrade, protestor Aleksandar Avramovic said: “They told us to sit at home, we had been at home for 2 months, no issues, nobody did anything. Elections have passed, today again home and again to captivity.”
Another protestor who defied the ban, Dusan Spasojevic, stated: “I was in prison for 2 weeks since I’m a pensioner and I was not permitted to go out. And then, exactly like a soap bubble burst, just like nothing happened, just due to the elections. Just so he [President Vučić] could prove that most of the individuals stand with him which isn’t true.”
Opponents blame the president contributing to the massive spike in deaths and new cases once he completely lifted past really tight lockdown measures. Mass gatherings at tennis and soccer games and clubs were permitted regardless of warnings by experts that this could cause a spike in diseases.
Serbian officials denounced the protests as an effort to overthrow the government and weaken Vučić’s standing from the European Union-mediated discussions on Kosovo, a former state whose 2008 announcement of independence Belgrade does not recognize.