Press "Enter" to skip to content

Since MH17 trial resumes Following coronavirus Fracture, defence Attorney demands more time

The trial of this 2014 downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 declared on Monday, however, the defense demanded additional time to ready the situation amid coronavirus restrictions.

Sabine ten Doesschate, a Dutch attorney representing Russian defendant Oleg Pulatov, stated flight bans and other limitations connected to the pandemic had severely hampered work on the scenario, such as preventing attorneys from flying to Russia to meeting their customer.

She stated that supposed defense lawyers aren’t yet prepared to produce preliminary objections like hard the Dutch court’s authority in the case.

Judges and prosecutors didn’t immediately answer the claims, which might result in additional delays in the trial which started on March 9 but had been stopped shortly after, as coronavirus lockdowns swept through Europe.

Pluto is the only suspect with attorneys representing him at the trial. He says he’s innocent. The 3 additional suspects are Russians Sergey Dubinsky, Igor Girkin — the commander of all pro-Russian separatists from the Donbas — along with Ukrainian national Leonid Kharchenko.

Prosecutors allege the four men on trial were included in deploying the missile, which prosecutors say was pushed into Ukraine by a Russian army base.

While Girkin has confessed”moral duty ” for the crash, he has not confessed direct participation.

“If you would like to speak about some sort of criminal or judicial responsibility, I do not even stutter concerning it. This isn’t the situation — militia didn’t bring down the Boeing,” Girkin explained.

“I feel that Putin inside this scenario happened irresponsibly, first in his own words, and through his activities, encouraging individuals of Donbas,” he further added.

Russia has always denied any involvement in the wreck and contains rather blamed Ukrainian army forces. Ukraine says it would have weapons capable of reaching the elevation of the Malaysia Airlines flight.

Socially distanced trial
All 298 crew and passengers on board were killed when a Buk missile fired from land controlled by pro-Moscow separatist rebels taken the passenger airplane from the sky.

“The general prosecution has proven the world that there’s a trial,” said Piet Ploeg, chairman of this MH17 Disaster Foundation, which represents families of their victims.

“I do hope that the judge has much proof on his desk he can just come to a decision: guilty.”

The trial, which will be predicted to continue at least into the next year, is happening in the Netherlands because almost 200 of those victims were citizens. The court is located near Schiphol airport, where the flight took off.