Press "Enter" to skip to content

Strong winds from Typhoon Faxai lash Japan, causing transport chaos

Over 130 flights were canceled along with dozens of train lines were shut for hours, snarling the afternoon sail to get many a larger Tokyo area which has a population of some 36 million. Authorities warned that it was not dangerous to venture out.

There were no immediate reports of deaths and just one serious accident, a girl in her 20s who needed to be rescued out of her home after it had been partially crushed when a metal rod from a golf driving range fell on it.

“There was a massive grinding sound; I could not figure out exactly what it was. I then looked outside the window,” a neighbor told NHK.

Some small landslides happened, and a bridge has been washed off, while as many as 930,000 homes lost electricity at the same stage, NHK said, including the whole town of Kamogawa.

“I have never seen a situation such as this, the entire city with no electricity,” an official told NHK.

The storm had led out to sea from midmorning, but police warned that heavy rains were anticipated to last for a while, such as in Fukushima, the website of the world’s worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

Approximately a few typhoons make landfall in Japan annually. However, it’s uncommon for them to do this close Tokyo. NHK stated Faxai was the most powerful storm in the Tokyo region in many decades.

Winds were sometimes strong enough to shake road signs and buildings at the neighboring town of Ichikawa early on Monday morning, while acid rain dropped. Streets normally occupied with commuters walking or bicycling into the rail station were abandoned.

Metal signals were torn out of the sides of trucks, buildings overturned, the metal roof of a gasoline channel ripped off and glass display cases ruined, scattering sidewalks using broken glass. One hour fast-food restaurants at central Tokyo closed, protecting their windows.

Trees were uprooted through the metropolitan region, some decreasing on train paths to additional snarl transport.

Components of the Tokaido Shinkansen line were temporarily stopped, but support resumed after a few hours. It took hours to different paths to restart, packaging channels with impatient commuters fanning themselves in the humid atmosphere.

Temperatures were put to take up to unseasonably hot amounts in the aftermath of the storm, with 36 degrees Celsius (96.8 Fahrenheit) called in Tokyo, allowing police to warn of the danger of heatstroke.