Press "Enter" to skip to content

Tokyo 2020 drops Kids from Olympic torch Occasions as coronavirus precaution

Some 340 Japanese kids will be not able to take part in the Olympic flashlight services for its handover in Greece and coming in Japan because of guidelines being taken against the spread of this coronavirus, Tokyo 2020 chief Yoshiro Mori said on Friday.

Mori, a former prime minister who heads the Tokyo 2020 coordinating committee, again rebuffed speculation the Games could be canceled on account of this coronavirus outbreak.

On Wednesday, when he was requested if the organizers might decide on any modifications to the Olympics when the virus retained dispersing he said”I am not even a God so that I don’t understand.”

Mori has stated that the only plan right now was to maintain the Games as scheduled, but highlighted that the organizers were listening to different opinions and could be flexible concerning the events at the run-up since the situation has been growing quickly.

The number of coronavirus instances in Japan stood in 1,057 as of Friday morning. The virus has killed 12 people in Japan and over 3,000 internationally since late last year.

Approximately 200 more were to have engaged in the coming service in Japan on March 20.

“The kids practiced difficult for your ceremonies so we are very sorry about that. We are going to attempt to make this up to them throughout the Games,” stated Mori.

Runners and employees involved with the relay carrying the flashlight after its birth in Japan will have their health and temperature monitored and the number of individuals attending events may be limited, the organizers said.