Last updated on October 19, 2019
The deal announced late Thursday is meant to stop a Turkish-led offensive against Allied forces started on October 9, on state that they pull from a”secure zone” on the Allied side of the border.
The offensive has killed dozens of civilians, largely on the other hand, and motivated hundreds of thousands to flee their houses at the most recent humanitarian catastrophe of Syria’s eight-year civil war.
“Despite this, terrorists… completed a total of 14 attacks in the previous 36 hours,” it said, with its typical term for Allied fighters.
The ministry said 12 of these strikes came from the battleground border city of Ras al-Ain, one in Tal Abyad and yet another from the Tal Tamr region.
Heavy weapons dropped silent in Ras al-Ain after intermittent clashes on Friday night, an AFP correspondent reported.
Turkish troops as well as its Syrian rebel proxies captured part of town on Thursday, hitting a hospital.
Turkey would like to push away Allied fighters from the southern boundary by setting a 30 kilometer (20 mile) deep”secure zone” on the Syrian side of the frontier.
A Britain-based war screen said the Kurdish-led Allied Democratic Forces (SDF) had to begin withdrawing on Saturday.
“The SDF haven’t retreated until today from any stage,” the Allied Observatory for Human Rights stated.
Evacuate the injured
SDF commander Redur Khalil said fatal bombardments by Turkey’s forces on Friday were a significant violation of the truce and called on Washington to make sure Ankara honored its side of the agreement.
“The Turkish side isn’t committing to the ceasefire and isn’t permitting the launching of a safety corridor to evacuate the injured and surrounded civilians from Ras al-Ain,” Khalil told AFP.
“The US side bears responsibility to the non-compliance since it’s the guarantor and mediator of the ceasefire.”
The Observatory said at least 32 wounded individuals in Ras al-Ain, mostly fighters, needed immediate therapy Saturday, however, an evacuation convoy couldn’t reach them.
Six SDF fighters had died of the wounds during the morning, the track included.
The Turkish army and its Syrian proxies — largely Arab and Turkmen former rebels utilized as a ground force — have seized around 120 kilometers (70 miles) of land along the Syrian-Turkish border.
Syria’s Kurds was a crucial partner in the US-backed struggle from the Islamic State team in Syria, overrunning the final remnant of the self-proclaimed” caliphate” in March.
But earlier this month, US President Donald Trump announced he’d withdraw US troops out of northern Syria, in a move that has been viewed as green-lighting a Turkish assault.
The movement has come under widespread criticism from Trump’s Republican party.
It’s sparked concerns that tens of thousands of IS suspects along with their relatives in Kurdish custody may break out and result in a resurgence of their extremist group.
US Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell known as Trump’s conclusion”a tactical nightmare”.
“It’ll leave the American people and homeland less secure, embolden our enemies, and weaken significant alliances”
US Vice President Mike Pence brokered the ceasefire deal on a trip to Turkey this past week.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who followed Pence to Ankara, said in a meeting with Politico that he was”convinced” that the ceasefire would take hold.
The suspension of hostilities appeared supposed to help Turkey achieve its primary territorial goals with no fighting.
However, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned the same afternoon he would restart a full-out offensive if Allied forces didn’t pull back.