Do not stress yourself if you are not able to make it to the gym on daily basis. For, there is something you can do on your own and at any time of day or night.
We are here talking about brisk walking. Doesn’t it sound helpful? If you go through the article below, you will become familiar with the magical benefits brisk walk has to offer.
As per the benefits observed, walking is considered to be one of the best cardio exercises.
Let’s first understand, how does cardio help?
Cardio stands for “cardiovascular” meaning it involves the heart and blood vessels. An efficient cardio workout helps in heart pumping stronger and faster. This then enables oxygen-rich blood move more efficiently to all the muscles, organs and tissue in the entire body.
Cardio exercises are also helpful in reducing your weight, lowering the risk of diabetes and strokes.
It works in keeping you cheerful too by fighting stress and keeping you energized. Of course, it gives you your much needed sound sleep.
So, how is walking a cardio exercise?
Pondering how can walk lead to blood pumping?
The fact is that any activity that results in your heart and lungs, as well as your large muscle groups, work harder can be considered aerobic or cardio exercise and brisk walking can do all those things.
What constitutes of a brisk walk for cardio?
A decently moderate exercise requires walking at least 3 miles an hour and you need 2.5 hours of this level every week.
So as per experts’ recommendation, if you do a brisk walk of 30 minutes a day, five days a week, you are on the right track of cardio exercise.
Adult body demands 10, 000 steps in a day. It may not be easy in the beginning for everyone. But as they say, success is nothing more than a few simple practices every day. The key factor is to keep working.
Start with 2000 steps a day in the first week, adding 1000 in the next and taking it to 5000 in the successive week. Keep working more like this and you will feel amazed with how quickly your steps keep increasing.
How does walk help?
You must familiarize yourself with the benefits of brisk walking. Since motivation always backs us. So here are the benefits you can reap from walk.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes
- Fosters blood flow
- Improve cholesterol levels
- Keeps blood pressure in control
- Manages blood sugar levels
- Promotes sound sleep
- Makes muscles and bones stronger
- Accelerates energy levels
- Controls your weight
- Improves brain function
- Fosters balance and coordination
Why walk is considered to be one of the best cardio workouts?
Clearly walk has ample benefits. But if you compare it with other form of exercises like running, gym, cycling etc. you will conclude it as one of the best forms of cardio. The reasons are as simple as below:
- Walking puts less stress on your joints and feet than running. So it is safe even for people with arthritis or over weight. It has low impact compare to running and is gentle on your body.
- Walking can be done at any time during the day. You don’t need to take out time to take a shower like you have to after gym.
- Definitely it is less expensive. You don’t need to pay for anything here.
- Walking has seen to be working well for mental health. It aids in uplifting your mood and enhances your creativity.
What all you need to start with this workout?
Comfortable shoes with socks and wearable track pants are all you need to consider to start off with brisk walking.
If you are in habit of carrying your smartphone along, then make a good use of it by installing some app that can help you count your steps. There are ample apps available. Check for their features and install the one suiting your requirements.
Points to remember
- Never start at a high speed. Whether you are walking on a treadmill or outside, go slow for a couple of minutes and then pick up your speed.
- Walking posture should be straight tall walk with head up, shoulders relaxed and stomach somewhat tight.
Feel your steps natural and smooth .Cool down slowly as you progress. Start with a simple regime initially but take it seriously and follow it on daily basis.